Cairo International Film critics Week is proudly to present the first Young Critics Workshop, open to 10 aspiring film critics (aged 20-35), offering them the opportunity to attend film criticism workshop which will be conducted by king of video essay Kevin B. Lee (November 15th – 24th November 2016), Participants will provide an original coverage of festival films and different programs. The workshop will be produced in partnership with Cairo International Film Festival.
About the Mentor:
Kevin B. Lee
Kevin B. Lee is Chief Video Essayist at Fandor. He has made over 250 video essays exploring film and media. His award-winning TRANSFORMERS: THE PREMAKE was named one of the best documentaries of 2014 by Sight & Sound Magazine and played in several festivals including the Berlin Critics Week. He was supervising producer at Roger Ebert Presents at the Movies, and has written for The New York Times, Sight & Sound, Slate and Indiewire.
About the Workshop:
• The workshop is free of charge.
• The participants will be part of interacting discussions about film criticism besides watching, writing and discussing selected films from the festival programs.
• The writing productions of the participants may be published on Cairo International Film critics’ website.
• The participants will be provided with two technical lectures about “How to produce a short video” in cooperation with “First Step Film School”.
• The working language is English, so the participants must be fluent in English, both spoken and written.
• Applications will be accepted between 15th Of August and 15th September, with selected candidates notified by 1st of October 2016.
• Updated Curriculum Vitae
• 5 writing samples of articles or film reviews in both Arabic and English languages (If the original texts are not in English, provide translations as a proof of your English writing skills)
• Download the application from the press section then send your filled application, samples of work and inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
CONDITIONS FOR THE USAGE OF SUBMITTED DATA AND SAMPLES OF WORK
The submitted material will only be considered by the Cairo International Film critics Week selection committee, if the participant agrees, that
• His/her photograph and data may be published on the website and in the publications of Cairo International Film critics Week as provided in the "Personal & Professional Data" area of the online application form.
• His/her submitted sample of work may be published by Cairo International Film critics Week in full length or as an excerpt in print.
• Cairo International Film critics Week does not offer the participants accommodation or travel expenses, so participants from other governorates in Egypt and from outside Egypt will be responsible for their travel arrangements and expenses.
• The participant must attend the whole days/ hours of the workshop.
• Participants will also be required to provide their own laptop computers